Monday 28 April 2008

Dead in the water

On arriving at work this morning I noticed how clear the water in the brook by the car park was. But I also noticed that many of the fish had disappeared. I concluded that it was the fish that made the water so murky and now they'd gone back to the main lake the mud was settling so the water was clearing. I thought no more about it.

Half an hour later, a colleague asked "Did you see all the dead fish floating by the bridge?"

Obviously the answer was no! But I was so surprised and shocked.

A few hours later I went to see for myself.
The corpses had now sunk to the bottom. It was horrible.

I looked again on my way home. There were still a few live fish in the tributary by my car.

I don't know what killed them. In all honesty, I think I'd rather not know.
It was so sad. 200 beautiful carp wasted. I do hope there will be survivors tomorrow.

No comments: